Saturday, October 3, 2009

I'm here!

Bonjour Mes Amis!


After 28 long hours of traveling, I made it to Angers, France on Monday. My plane rides included the usual 2 year old crying a few rows ahead of me, people coughing up the swine virus for all I know, and a chinese woman speaking German sitting next to me - it all was quite interesting! I flew from Portland to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Paris. Then I took two different trains to get to Angers (a 1 1/2 hour trip from Paris). Trying to buy a train ticket and making sure I was on the right train was a little difficult, not to mention trying to lift my 50 pound suitcase up the stairs on the train! Needless to say, I was very relieved to make it to Angers :)


It has taken me a while to get used to the time change and to overcome my jet lag. The first day I arrived I felt very overwhelmed. I found myself gazing at my beautiful surroundings and absorbing the french language too much that I even walked straight into a parking meter. Talk about being one embarressed  American! Ah! Anyways, the town is awesome. It is a perfect mix between a city and a small town. The streets could not be more confusing but my roommate and I are learning our way around quickly by way of trial and error. My host mother is very nice, although I can't communicate in full conversation with her yet because she doesn't speak English. On Wednesday I took a French placement test. I knew I would probably be placed in a lower level considered I barely understood the directions! I am so excited to start classes on Monday and learn some French!


Last night was my first night out to the bars here, which was totally awesome. I met some cool people from several different countries. I loved talking to the British! There is a really awesome bar called Falstaff that is owned by a French woman who loves international students. This was the perfect place to start out the night! She even played the YMCA!


I am surprised at how well i've started to adapt to this culture my first week. At times it was a little difficult trying to fit into another culture, especially with people starring and judging you because they know you are American. My first night here I couldn't help but think "what am I doing here?" I knew that was probably a normal feeling so I didn't worry about it too much. This thought got me to thinking though about my true purpose for being here. I am here because I want to branch out and be immersed in another culture. I am hoping that being apart of this culture will help me to learn more French and that I will meet many great people along the way.


That's all for now!


Kaitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment